Mindful Eating…. Mindfulness can improve every area of of our lives, even when it comes to food and our eating habits. It can help us get back into our bodies and our experience, instead of being checked out, and going through the motions.
We have an obesity epidemic on our hands and below are some practices to help you check back in, instead of check out and keep eating.
14 Mindful Eating Practices:
- Get a special plate, fork, knife, spoon, cup, and napkin that you absolutely love and use this as your mindful eating gear, just for you. When you eat with these, embrace the meal as a sacred occasion.
- Take time to set the table, even light a candle for the meal.
- Take 10 deep breaths before eating.
- If you are not feeling grounded before eating, go outside and stand in the grass or dirt barefoot.
- Close your eyes and rate your hunger, fullness, and satisfaction before and after you eat to bring more awareness.
- Look at food carefully and smell food. Notice all of the colors and textures. When you take a bite, notice what side of your mouth you are chewing on, and how many bites you take before swallowing.
- Take notice of your emotions: before, during, and after a meal. Were there any triggers that may have caused emotions?
- What is your environment: Loud restaurant with lots of people? Quite and alone? May need to increase mindfulness if distractions are present.
- Not fixing: If your situation for eating is less than idea, recognize that solutions are not always needed when the intention is mindfulness and awareness.
- If you find yourself over eating or binge eating, stop for a moment and close your eyes. Take a few deep breaths. What are you feeling? Or what are you really feeling that you are trying not to feel? Get really present to this and let yourself feel it. Then check in about if you really need any more food.
- Bring some awareness to “what would have me feel really satisfied right now?” If you REALLY want a square of chocolate, you won’t feel satisfied if you eat the entire bag of chips. Ask yourself what you really want. Maybe it’s a hug?
- Smell frankincense & lavender essential oils to calm the mind. Place oils in palm and rub together, then smell.
- If you are having feelings of guilt, say out loud 3 times “I now shift my thoughts from fear to love.”
- Letting go: Letting go of whatever your experience was during the meal, and be present with the rest of your day, guilt free!
Want to explore more mindfulness while eating? Tired of feeling guilt instead of pleasure with eating? Ready to loose those extra pounds or be able to only eat half of a brownie?
With EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) we are able to get to the “root” of the problem. My goal for you is to make this “eating thing” a complete non-issue for you. True Freedom.
If you would like to discuss how we may be able to work together, please book at 30 min chat with me to see if we are a good fit.